Many news organizations picked up on a story from University of Florida researchers that microwaving a kitchen sponge for 2 minutes could kill bacteria, viruses and parasites. But as people rushed to try the new technique, some didn’t realize the sponge needed to be wet. Several complained to news agencies:
January 27, 2007
“Just wanted you to know that your article on microwaving sponges and scrubbers aroused my interest. However, when I put my sponge/scrubber into the microwave, it caught fire, smoked up the house, ruined my microwave, and pissed me off,” one correspondent wrote in an e-mail to Reuters.
“First, the sponge is worthless afterwards so you have to throw it out instead of using it. And second your entire house stinks like a burning tire for several hours, even with windows/doors open,” complained another.