So the news is out, Anna Nicole Smith died of an accidental overdose:
Broward County Medical Examiner Joshua Perper said Smith died of “combined drug intoxication” with the sleeping medication chloral hydrate as the major factor.
Two odd deaths in a family [Smith’s son’s death at age 20 was blamed on a combination of methadone and antidepressants, which caused cardiac dysrhythmia] raise the possibility of inherited diseases such as the Cardiac Long QT syndrome or a hereditary cardiac malformation.
Mickey is unpersuaded by today’s announcement:
March 26, 2007Chloral hydrate is seldom associated with death, at least as the only medication. When a woman and her son both die suddenly, one has to consider heritable causes as well as bad luck or multiple medications. Chloral hydrate is on the list of drugs associated with the Long QT syndrome and we are told that she was taking other medications as well. The syndrome is a channelopathy that can be tested for using DNA.